20080929

boldyak


"Boldyak" is a term you would hear from students (in my school) when they get grilled during a presentation. "Nasabon" is an alternative.

A two-week preparation for a big group discussion (BGD) in Medicine II should be enough not to be boldyak-ed. Well, of course it would depend on the group members and the facilitator. We thought we were ready. We met and stayed late on weekday nights and a weekend trying to fix our slides and reading articles and books. We consulted with different doctors, our clerk friends and our facilitator. But we were boldyak-ed anyway. What went wrong?

I know I put extra effort on what I was assigned to do. I know I've read my part, researched on details I did not understand. I jotted and prepared possible questions and answered them. It's just disappointing that we've overlooked some other stuff. I should have reminded the others (and myself!) that every word in every slide will be questioned. Every symptom, every drug, every order... that's how we were grilled... the "drugs" part.

I know we all hate pharmacology but it isn't an excuse for us not to know and study it. It's not an excuse to just know some.. It's our responsibility to know every single detail about. In the future, we won't get away with it... We are in this program to learn how to cure. A big part of this is giving the appropriate prescription, the right orders, educating patients about adverse reactions... and errors aren't allowed. So we have to be in the know... not just memorizing dosages and regimens but understanding all the kinetics and dynamics of everything. Errors cause morbidity and mortality. And that is bad medicine... not medicine at all.

I know it wasn't my part of the presentation, but I should know all these by now. I shouldn't have relied on others just because it's their task for the discussion... tsk tsk tsk...

What disappointed me the most is the journal part... haay.. tsk tsk. boldyak tuloy.

Buti nalang the panel did not make us repeat the BGD. The other presentors from last year daw were asked to do another presentation.. So generally, we did ok.

Smile na.