I've always tolerated the pain of tooth extraction. The only painful event is the injection of anesthesia. This would give you a sharp sharp sharp pain since the dentist is hitting the nerve. Once the anesthesia sets in, you shouldn't be able to feel pain. Yes you would be able to feel light touch--the devices on your gums but the pain is absent.
If you felt pain during your tooth extraction it may mean that your dentist failed to assess very carefully whether the extraction is doable via local anesthesia alone or the dentist failed to remember that abscesses or other infection render anesthesia less effective . I know there's a protocol for this. Like if tooth is already exposed or loose or easily extractable, local anesthesia can do, and you proceed with the extraction. However if tooth is likely to be infected, there should be prophylactic procedures before extraction. And if deep, deeper anesthesia is needed.
Haay, I wish dentists do proper assessment. Kawawa naman ang patiente... in so much pain... =(