20090828

internship application due today

The medical internship application is due later today. I'm supposed to choose my top three priority hospitals but haven't written anything yet 'cause as of this moment, I'm really having a hard time deciding where I'd spend my next year's training.

I've been asking mama for advice. She thinks that I should decide for myself and to limit my choices to hospitals proximal to where I live. So either I stay within Manila or Quezon City.

Within Manila, there's UST, Ospital ng Maynila, Chinese General Hospital, Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center, Manila Doctors Hospital. Medical Center Manila, Metropolitan Hospital, The Family Medical Center, Inc. and Tondo Medical Center.

In QC, options are: AFP Medical Center, Capitol Medical Center, Delos Santos Medical Center, DOH, QC General Hospital, Quirino Memorial Medical Center, United Doctors Medical Center, and Veterans Memorial Medical Center.

It's a long list. But apart from proximity, I'd want my next year not benign and not toxic either; but if it were toxic it better be worth it. So that would leave me with UST and DOH, huh?

UST seems a safe choice... or, if I may say a good choice (hehe, why noooot?). Aside from the fact that, it has been my second home for the last 8 years... meaning adjustments are minor, other advantages are, 1) clerks do the monitoring, 2) there are lectures and conferences since it's a teaching hospital, 3) residents and consultants guide you with STANDARD management of cases (unlike in private hospitals/non-teaching hospitals where they may rely on their personal judgment, own management methods). Disadvantages? UST nanaman? Toxic? especially in the private division rotations...

Many prefer the DOH Integration program which includes rotation in the following hospitals: East Avenue Medical Center, National Kidney Institute, the Heart Center and Children's Hospital, mainly for skills, adequate exposure to many patients... =) and well, kasi di na UST, iba naman =)



malapit lang naman and DOH, di nga lang walking distance...