When I assisted in a Cesarean delivery in UST, I volunteered to massage the atonic uterus. I was amazed.. hehe. That was my very first operative assist... (first was a partial breech extraction which i blabbed about last time)
This time, our rotation is in Fabella... the baby factory (haha, Wikipedia mentions it as such.. for 20% of the babies in Metro Manila are being delivered here; with an average of 88 deliveries each day, that is as of 2003 census). When you get to rotate here, you'll have to deliver (normal spontaneous delivery) babies on your own...
I flew solo last duty. hehe... That was my fourth actual delivery but that fourth time was really all by myself (hehe, yabang. pati nurse wala!!! to hand me the lidocaine and help me with the baby ones it gets out)... The first to third were sort of a failure, cause the attending physician had to lengthen the episiotomy (incision done on the area between the vajayjay and the anus to allow more space for passage of the baby, otherwise it would be lacerated) I did cause I only incised an inch... ouch kasi. di ko makayanan... and to think that they can feel it when you're actually stitching them up. As in, the first two i repaired, they were crying in pain, they feel every bite of the needle and every pull the sutures and every time you lock them... They can be injected with local anesthesia however when they already consumed one vial, that's it.. no more extra for the repair, unless of course the resident is kind enough to allow you to get another one.. (well, since they don't see who gets the Lidocaine anesthesia, I get another when I start the sutures... hehe, shhh). I used to cringe when they cry in pain, but later on, I get numb to it. I'd say, "nanay, onti nalang, apat nalang na stitches".. and she goes "pleeeeaaaaseee. parang awa niyo na po, ayaw ko na po talagaaaaa"...
Anyway, the first time I flew solo, the cord was short, I can't get the baby on top of the mom's belly and the baby was slipping from my hands.. then it just lengthened.. that's when I placed the neonate on the mom's belly... I then clamped, clamped and cut the umbilical cord. nice nice..
I want so much to get a photo of Fabella, however I think they don't allow cameras in there... So I just drew it. hehe.. then realized I can just search in the internet. haha.. so here you go...
This time, our rotation is in Fabella... the baby factory (haha, Wikipedia mentions it as such.. for 20% of the babies in Metro Manila are being delivered here; with an average of 88 deliveries each day, that is as of 2003 census). When you get to rotate here, you'll have to deliver (normal spontaneous delivery) babies on your own...
I flew solo last duty. hehe... That was my fourth actual delivery but that fourth time was really all by myself (hehe, yabang. pati nurse wala!!! to hand me the lidocaine and help me with the baby ones it gets out)... The first to third were sort of a failure, cause the attending physician had to lengthen the episiotomy (incision done on the area between the vajayjay and the anus to allow more space for passage of the baby, otherwise it would be lacerated) I did cause I only incised an inch... ouch kasi. di ko makayanan... and to think that they can feel it when you're actually stitching them up. As in, the first two i repaired, they were crying in pain, they feel every bite of the needle and every pull the sutures and every time you lock them... They can be injected with local anesthesia however when they already consumed one vial, that's it.. no more extra for the repair, unless of course the resident is kind enough to allow you to get another one.. (well, since they don't see who gets the Lidocaine anesthesia, I get another when I start the sutures... hehe, shhh). I used to cringe when they cry in pain, but later on, I get numb to it. I'd say, "nanay, onti nalang, apat nalang na stitches".. and she goes "pleeeeaaaaseee. parang awa niyo na po, ayaw ko na po talagaaaaa"...
Anyway, the first time I flew solo, the cord was short, I can't get the baby on top of the mom's belly and the baby was slipping from my hands.. then it just lengthened.. that's when I placed the neonate on the mom's belly... I then clamped, clamped and cut the umbilical cord. nice nice..
I want so much to get a photo of Fabella, however I think they don't allow cameras in there... So I just drew it. hehe.. then realized I can just search in the internet. haha.. so here you go...
crappy quick sketch... that's to show a super dooper crowded big ward..
source


