The trouble of not being able to communicate well is using terms not in the usual webster. Sometimes I've hard time explaining a disease or med whatnots to people outside the medworld. Inarticulate. Or maybe I've always been.
That's just for one. I've trouble recalling even the basics when people (non-med people)ask me things. Sometimes, I'd just tell them.. "alam ko yan dati eh"... hahaha. Using analogy, it's sort of.. if the type of test given were matching type or multiple choice, I'd get some but if it were identification, I'd probably get none. haha.
People get to ask me diseases, it's pathogenesis and etiologies... or some basic things in biology/anatomy... but heck, I can't answer spontaneously! Minuto minsan! Haha, spaced out...
These are just some of the questions they asked. Can't forget most ofthem cause they made me feel I have to read more as soon as I got home... hehe... I'll answer them one by one one of these days.
1. Why men have lower voice? toper (in anawangin, I was a sophomore then)
2. Why we get hiccups/hiccoughs? -toper ata (while chatting?, sophomore)
3. What is metabolic acidosis?!!! -uncle otoy (while in a wake of a relative, sophomore; i said: was she hyperventilating?.. yeah. dumb dumb)
4. What do I do with my "pekas"? -ate fe (ako naman: what's pekas? junior and taking derma!!)
5. What is hyperthyroidism, what's the pathogenesis? -kaye (argh, I can enumerate the symptoms but can't remember the pathogenesis! all i said was: nodules causing hormone stimulation... and "ah, let's just wait for sheena, maybe she knows... sheena: alam ko yan dati eh..)
6. How long from giving birth will my pedal edema disappear? What do I do? -ate Loveleen (sophomore and done with OB! my face even turned red, i said: diuretics! buko juice or maybe drugs!... what? drugs agad? hehe, elevate feet lang dapat and walk once in a while; eto pa: her aunt who is a nurse heard what I said, and just advised her to elevate the legs, even explained why there is pedal edema..)
7. Do we have meds that decrease testosterone? -archie (huwaw! was a freshman ata or sophomore, I really didn't know... I said there were none, and thought trauma to balls???... wtf!. super kahiya, I didn't know talaga)
8. What's the hypothalamus for.. -archie (angel: emotions??? and memory?. yuck, I wasn't sure, felt my face turned red; although i remember recalling that it was the master of glands, but cannot give out the "functions"; yeah i did say memory but after saying it, I knew it was wrong. haha)
9. When's it safe to have sex? - vice (was in freshman pa, and they don't emphasize the safe periods. they explain the physiology but what, didn't know the exact days ha.. i said, 5 days before and after menstruation. ah, el terible!)
I'll answer these nga next week. Para I'll remember.